How To Apply For A Schengen Visa From India?
Are you planning a trip abroad anytime soon? In this post-pandemic scenario, as major parts of the world are opening their doors to tourists, almost all of us are getting bitten by the travel bug. However, if you plan a trip to Europe, you will need to get Schengen travel insurance. Along with that, you’ll need to apply for a Schengen visa which is one of the most exclusive visas in the whole world.
Europe is a much-desired travel destination for people from all over the globe. And if you are planning a trip to one of these amazing European destinations – Hungary, Belgium, Czech Republic, Austria, Denmark, France, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Italy, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Latvia, Malta, Luxembourg, Norway, Lithuania, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Poland, Slovenia, Switzerland, Spain or Sweden, you’ll need to have a valid Schengen visa in place. And it would help if you had Schengen travel insurance for a Schengen visa from India.
How to Apply for a Schengen Visa from India?
If you are an Indian citizen and travelling to any of the above-listed Schengen countries, you’ll need to apply for a Schengen visa and follow the Schengen travel policy. Also, the visa you’ll apply for will depend upon the purpose of your trip, the duration of your visit, and the number of times you are planning to visit the country in the coming months. The standard Schengen visa from India is a short-stay one, which is for trips that will last for up to 90 days. However, for longer stays, you will have to opt for a work or study visa. For multiple visits, you will have to apply for a multiple-entry Schengen visa.
So, once your tickets are booked and your Schengen travel insurance is in place, you’ll have to apply for a Schengen visa not more than six months and not less than 15 days before the trip. So, you should apply for the visa at least three weeks before your departure to allow any unforeseen delays in your application processing. After this, you will need to fill up the application, get all your related documents, and attend an interview at an embassy, consulate or visa processing centre near to you.
What is the Cost of a Schengen Visa in India?
A Schengen visa from India usually costs ₹6,500 for adults and ₹3,250 for minors. However, for children under the age of six, the visa fees are waived off. Also, the visa fees are waived off for those travelling to Europe for research, studies, attending any cultural events, or those under the age of 25 who are travelling with any charitable organisation.
What are the Documents Needed to Apply for a Schengen Visa in India?
Suppose you are planning to visit any of the Schengen countries for work or study. In that case, you will need some additional documents along with the mandatory documents to get your Schengen visa. For those visiting Europe for work, an employment contract, a leave letter from the Indian employer, a current bank statement, and an income tax return are required, along with the mandatory documents. For the self-employed visitors, an income tax return, a copy of their Indian business license, a company bank statement is necessary. For students, proof of enrolment to any European university, a no-objection certificate from the Indian college or university is required.
Here is the list of all mandatory documents that are needed to apply for a Schengen visa in India:
- A Schengen visa application form
- Two recent passport-size photographs
- An Indian passport not older than 10 years and valid for at least three months after you depart from the Schengen country
- A copy of the traveller’s passport’s data page (A4 size copy)
- Leave letter from your current company (if employed)
- No-objection certificate of school or university (if student).
- A Schengen travel insurance India, with a medical cover up to the cost of €30,000
- A personal covering letter with the entire travel itinerary
- Flight tickets, rail tickets, etc
- Proof of accommodation during the entire stay in the Schengen region
- If applicable, proof of civil status, like marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, and ration card
- Financial status proof:
- If employed: Past 3 months’ payslips/employment contract
- If self-employed: Certificate of Proprietorship/any other proof of business ownership (proof of land title, proof of income from agriculture (sales form) etc.)
- Personal original bank statement of the past three months with sufficient funds.
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Form 16 (Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary)
So, if you are planning a trip to the Schengen countries shortly, make sure to apply for travel insurance before applying for a Schengen visa. Also, do not forget to calculate the premium amounts with an online travel insurance premium calculator that insurers like Tata AIG provide so that you can understand your premium payments better. Also, no matter which country you are visiting, follow their laws and local rules to enjoy your stay better and have a safe and secure stay there.